Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Pumpkin Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting

Happy Thanksgiving friends!

Some of the fondest memories of our travels while my husband was in the U.S. Air Force were, of course, shared over food.  At the many events, potlucks, etc. I was able to try yummy foods and get recipes from dear friends from all over our great country.  The recipe I am sharing today came from my friend, Shelley Brock, from our time living in Colorado Springs, Colorado.  It is an easy recipe - perfect to whip up for a holiday potluck, or if you are traveling for the holidays and you want a sweet other than pie.

Pumpkin Bars

Ingredients:

4 eggs
2 cups sugar
1 cup oil
1 can pumpkin (15 oz.)
2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 cup nuts (optional)

*Beat the eggs, stir in sugar, oil & pumpkin. (I use a whisk, because it is easier/faster to mix!)
*In a separate bowl, stir together dry ingredients - flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.


*Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix well.
Note:  You should add pecans if your family likes them!  Sadly, my family does not... :(  


*Pour into a lightly sprayed 13 x 9 baking dish.


*Bake at 350 degrees for 35 - 40 minutes.

 (I put it in this particular pan, instead of a pretty one, because I wanted it to have a lid. :) )

*Cool completely and cover with cream cheese frosting.


LOL - could have cleaned up the pan before the picture - oops!  I was excited to cut into it.  I haven't made these in years.

While you CAN use store-bought cream cheese frosting, it is super easy to make and worth the few extra minutes, in my opinion.

Cream Cheese Frosting

3 oz. cream cheese
3/4 stick butter (That would be 6 TBS.)

Cream cheese comes in 3 oz. sizes, but I always have the large ones on-hand.
Check out those fractions!
The teacher in me wants to remind you that cooking with your kids is not only special, quality time, but also provides valuable opportunities to practice real-world Math skills. DO IT!

1 TBSP cream (Milk works just as well.)
1 tsp. vanilla (Makes everything better.)
2 1/2 - 3 cups of powdered sugar (2 1/2 is plenty for me.)
pinch of salt

*Mix cream cheese, butter, cream/milk, and vanilla with a mixer until blended.
*Mix in powdered sugar a little at a time until well blended
Tip:  Do NOT add all of the powdered sugar at the same time or you will surely receive a surprise in the face... Don't say I didn't warn you :)

VOILA!

 
 My boys have dug into their second pieces already!! Yippee for Thanksgiving, family, and cooking (even better in pjs of course)!

No comments:

Post a Comment