Thursday, March 14, 2013

Best Ever Meatball Sub

Hello and Howdy!

Sorry Annette and I have been gone for so long.  It doesn't mean we're not thinking of you, but it does mean sometimes life gets a little busy...We know you get that!

We'll try to get a few new recipes and ideas up this week to make up for lost time. 

My boys love a good meatball sub, so when I heard, "This is the BEST meatball sub EVER!" from my guys, I knew I had to blog about it.  It is nothing fancy at all I realize, but that's what Annette and I are all about.  We like to take a few ingredients and make a yummy favorite.  That way we can give you ideas and maybe you will take them and make them your own. 

Best Ever Meatball Sub

You will need:

French Bread (I use whole wheat loaves from Sam's.)
Italian Style Meatballs (Better yet, make your own if you have time.)
A jar of your favorite Pasta Sauce (Note: I think this one was on sale?)
Shredded Mozzarella Cheese (Best part)
Shredded Parmesan Cheese


First, cut out a triangular pyramid shape from the top of your bread (oh yeah, Math terms), and place it/them on a baking sheet lined with foil.  Just angle your knife and go for it - nothing perfect here.  I sliced one in half, because I knew I would only need to eat half (even though I wanted a whole one...).  Also, feel free to "dig out" some of the bread if you want less bread.


Sprinkle with a bit of Parmesan cheese and pop in the oven at 350 for about 5 minutes to warm/toast your bread.  You can make it as toasty or "not toasty" as you would like.

Meanwhile, in a covered saucepan, heat meatballs in the pasta sauce.
Insert mental image here, as your author failed to take a picture...???

Add your meatballs and sauce to that crevice in your bread:


Sprinkle with Parmesan Cheese:


Sprinkle with Mozzarella Cheese (oh, how I LOVE cheese):


Pop it under the broiler in your oven or back in the 350 until the cheese is melty (uh, yes, "melty" is a word).

Add a fresh, healthy salad and Voila!


Now I'm sure Annette would have added some cute garnish like fresh chopped parsley or some such thing, but this was one of those "on a whim" kind of recipes so no time for all that - lol. 

The thing that makes these "Best Ever" is the design - LOW MESS = NO MEATBALLS or SAUCE ON YOUR CLOTHES!!! Yippee! 

I hope this inspires you to try your hand at a meatball sub or other hot sandwich of your own.  Let us know if you come up with something we need to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment