Thursday, March 21, 2013

Homage to the Potato (Oh So Simple Microwave Ranch Potatoes)

Hello from some of your favorite Texas cooking sisters!

In keeping with our "Homage to the Potato," I am sharing an original recipe I have been making for my family for several years.  The best part?  (Besides it's potatoes...)  There are only 4 ingredients!!
Who can resist a yummy potato recipe with only 4 ingredients??

 Oh So Simple Microwave Ranch Potatoes


8-10 medium Red Potatoes
Hidden Valley Ranch salad dressing mix packet
1/3 cup milk
1/4 cup butter

First, you need to wash/scrub down those potatoes.  I mean, they do come right out of the ground!


Now, please forgive me, but I just keep thinking of having young cooks in my home and how they have to be taught everything step-by-step.  If you are a pro and know how to cut up potatoes, skip down a bit, but for some reason I felt the need to show how I cut them up.

First, I slice them in half:
Then, cut those in fourths:
Finally, I cut THOSE in half:
One potato:

10 potatoes in a 2.5 quart casserole dish:


Not gonna lie - I used to get VERY worked up about them all being almost EXACTLY the same size, but then I realized I am no Gordon Ramsey!!  You do want all of your potato pieces to be close the same size so they will cook evenly, but please don't let your OCD overtake you here!

Next comes the hard part - HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA - I crack myself up sometimes :)
You slice 1/4 cup (half a stick) of butter and just place the "pats" of butter around on top
Sprinkle that packet of Ranch Dressing mix over it all (or let your kids).


Then, pour the 1/3 cup of milk over all of it.


DON'T STIR IT - REALLY.  Just cover it and pop it in the microwave.


Depending on how many potatoes you have and how powerful your microwave is, you will cook them for 20-25 minutes on high.  Stir them every 5 minutes.

The potatoes are done when you are able to easily pierce them with a knife or fork, but don't cook them so long that they get "mushy."  Oh, what the heck, TRY THEM - check for doneness the way Gordon Ramsey would tell us to :)  The beauty of the microwave is that you can always pop them in for a few more minutes if you want.

You should have a yummy sauce covering your potatoes.  We have decided in our house that these do not need any extra salt, but of course you may want to add salt or other seasonings to taste.

VOILA!


Yes - part of a balanced diet!  Because you know each of us only ate that small portion - NOT!  We can never get enough of these.  EVERYONE goes back for more!  They also heat up well the next day!

There you have it ~ a Beth Original.
Annette and I hope you enjoy your POTATOES!!
As the Irish would say, May God Be With You.

No comments:

Post a Comment