Thursday, January 17, 2013

Breakfast Smoothies - Start the Day Right!

Hello blog world!

Annette INSISTS that after I blogged about my "Smoothie Packets," I need to blog about how I actually use them.  You can see our original post here:  Make Ahead Tips for Healthy Eating .


Well, here is the base for most of my smoothies:


My awesome new Ninja blender (makes me happy and makes smoothie making fun and easy), Almond Milk, Non-fat plain greek yogurt, some water, and a smoothie packet.  I also add spinach.  I promise you - no one in my house can taste it!!

Smoothies are a personal taste kind of thing, so there is no magic about a "recipe" involved.  You throw in what you have and go.  For instance, if I run out of Almond milk, I use the skim milk I keep on hand.  No biggie.  You have to do some experimenting to get the taste(s) you and your family members like.  I will say, a little banana goes a long way - consider yourself warned.

That being said, this is how my smoothies are being made these days:

Healthy Breakfast Smoothies 

1 cup of Almond Milk
2 very heaping Tablespoons of plain, non-fat Greek yogurt
   (feel free to use more - lots of protein) 
1 frozen smoothie packet
1 cup (ish) of spinach
1/4 - 1/2 cup cold water 
SPLASH of Vanilla is optional (secret ingredient - lol)
Ice cubes can be added if desired (Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.)

Start with the liquid and yogurt, then throw in the frozen fruit - don't really "throw" it - that would make a mess and could possibly be dangerous. 



Put your spinach in last.


Put the top on your blender.  WARNING: DO NOT FORGET THIS STEP! (Unless you are looking for something that looks like an episode of "I Love Lucy.")  My blender won't even work without the lid - lol - pretty sure they were afraid someone would try that "no lid" thing.
You may want to use the "pulse" button a little at first to break up the frozen fruit and ice cubes if you elected to add them.

Turn that puppy (blender) on and let it do its thing.  Feel free to pack your lunch at this time.


Now listen, TAKE IT TO THE SINK.  I know you're awesome and all, but don't chance making a mess.  Go find an enormous cup, (this makes a huge serving) and fill 'er up.

Voila!

LOOK - IT'S MAROON!!!  WHOOP!!  (For those who aren't Aggies, just try to roll with it :)
Now all you need to do is get a straw and ENJOY!  I pop the top on it and take it right out the door to work with me.  I feel so great starting my day with calcium, iron, vitamins - basically a big, yummy glass of "healthy."

Here's an important tip - PLEASE go ahead and take the 30 seconds and rinse out your blender!  You will not be sorry!  This has yummy, sweet, sticky fruit in it and it will be MUCH more difficult to clean up later if you leave it.


Like I mentioned in the first part of this post, you need to make adjustments and go with what you have on head.  This morning I was out of spinach, so I decided to make a more "tropical" smoothie.
I substituted 1/2 cup of orange juice for the water and put in 2 pineapple spears.


WOWZERS! PURPLICIOUS :)


I hope this has helped those of you who are looking for a healthy start to your day and didn't know how to use the Smoothie Packets.  Remember, there is no "right" way and about a million recipes out there.  Experiment and have fun with it.  I promise I have just given you a way to easily sneak fruits and veggies (yeah, even spinach) into your children's' lives!  And I also promise I won't tell! SSSHHH =)

Always in Our PJs,
Annette & Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment