Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Tropical Fruit Salad

Hello Everyone!

For many of us today starts the first day after the holidays.  Beth and I (Annette) wanted to start this week off with some quick, easy and healthy tips and recipes.  She and I have made some New Year's Resolutions!  (Yikes!) We are going to do a few life style changes.  More exercise and better food choices are part of that change.  Don't get me wrong...we will continue to share a variety of recipes and tips as we have a passion for variety.  Just sayin'! ;) We have many Texas recipes to share with you.

This particular recipe is a family favorite especially with my husband, Pete.  Fruit Salad is the dish he requests the most during the holidays and as that special fruit dish to compliment any meal. I have tried many variations of fruit salad, but, this is my favorite. So here goes!

Ingredients

1 can of lightly sweetened tangerines (juices drained)
1 can of lightly sweetened pineapple chunks (juices drained)
2 bananas (peeled and cut into small chunks)
1 large peeled and diced apple (any variety)
1/2 cup chopped pecans (toast at 350 degrees for about 5-6 minutes to bring out the flavor)
1 small tub of Cool Whip (you can use the fat free if you are really counting calories)No fun though!


In a medium bowl combine your tangerines and pineapple.  Put your apples and bananas in a separate dish and toss with a small amount of lemon (as this keeps them from browning). Combine the apple and bananas with your pineapple mixture.  Add the cooled pecans and Cool Whip.  Gently fold all ingredients together so you do not damage fruit and to evenly coat your mixture.

 Voila!


You can add any variation of fruit or nut that you prefer.  For instance some like to add walnuts instead of pecans.  You can add grapes or any other fruit your family enjoys.  Sometimes I add a small handful of coconut, but, have found that some people really enjoy it and some people really don't.

I hope your family will enjoy this as much as my family does.  I made this at Beth's house at Thanksgiving and everyone loved it.  It's simple, fast and healthy! One of the few healthy Thanksgiving dishes I know how to make so far.  :)

Beth and I hope that you will take every opportunity to spend time in the kitchen and at your tables with your families.  This past Thanksgiving and Christmas she and I were like a well oiled machine.  We laughed and cooked together without getting in each others' way. Not always the way it works with two women in the same kitchen...you know what I mean! Right? :) We had so much fun together!  We hope you will do the same.  Here's hoping each of you have a wonderful day and a very healthy and prosperous New Year!

Always in Our PJs,
Annette & Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment