Monday, January 21, 2013

The Perfect Hard-Boiled Egg

Good Day All!

One of those things you have to know how to do as a cook is boil an egg - Duh!  How else would we get Deviled Eggs???  (Maybe I will be able to get my darling daughter to do a guest blog on how she makes hers.  She will if she loves me - no pressure, Kelsi.)

Anyway, I have found that even these seemingly simple tasks can seem difficult if you have never done them.  There are a few tips to share on this subject.

1)  Apparently it is easier to peel OLD eggs... yep, buy your eggs a few days in advance.
     That's what I'm told.  Don't shoot the messenger.

2)  Place your eggs in a pan and cover with a few inches of COLD water.  It is important the water be COLD, because bringing your eggs to boil slowly will prevent cracking.  Some people suggest you add salt as well to make the eggs easier to peel, but I haven't ever done this.  I think I'll try it out. I never stop learning or trying new things in the kitchen.


3)  Turn the heat on high and bring your eggs to a rolling boil.


4)  Immediately turn off the heat and cover with a lid.
5)  Let the eggs stand for 20 minutes in the water.
6)  Pour out the hot water and cool the eggs in ice water.


7)  Enjoy right away, use them in your recipe, or store unpeeled for up to one week in the refrigerator.
     *Do not peel an egg until you are ready to eat/use it.


We keep these on-hand to throw in lunches or have for a snack.  They are a wonderful source of protein. 

If you are lucky enough to have a place to get fresh eggs, there is a huge flavor difference, so I would check that resource out. 

Simple, easy, and cheap - gotta love eggs!

Always in Our PJs,
Annette & Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment